WEF Eco’s Tips to Green Your Lifestyle
Posted April 21, 2010
By the WEF Eco Team
In the spirit of Earth Day on April 22, the WEF Eco team would like to share some tips on how to green your lifestyle. WEF has been working to reduce its impact on the environment through the WEF Eco program since 2007. Our headquarters now include a green roof and terrace, and overall WEF has reduced its electricity consumption by 50%--just two examples of how citizens and businesses can make a difference in the environment.
If installing your own green roof isn’t affordable or logical, GreenScape your yard by using compost, selecting low-water plants that grow well in your area, and including native plants and rain gardens. You can even create your own compost from yard and kitchen wastes.
WEF’s electricity-use reductions have been accomplished by upgrades to heating and cooling systems and sealing all windows to prevent heat loss and gain. WEF’s new energy management system allows real-time online controls of Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) and lighting with motion sensors. If replacing your HVAC system just won’t cut it, take WEF’s lead by sealing and insulating your home. According to the EPA’s Energy Star Web site, this is “often the most cost effective way to improve energy efficiency and comfort.” You can also use fluorescent lighting and Energy-Star products wherever possible, as WEF has done.
Greening your lifestyle can be easy, it just takes some thought about ways to reduce, reuse, and recycle. These choices often result in big savings. Find a green option that suits you below:
- Recycle paper, plastic, glass, cardboard, and metal regularly and research how to recycle other electronics.
- Use public transportation and walk or bike as much as possible.
- Purchase items that contain recycled content.
- Mix your own cleaning products that are gentler on the environment.
- Reduce junk mail and faxes by registering with the Direct Marketing Association’s Mail Preference Service.
- Avoid printing by keeping documents on the computer.
- Find ways to reuse old items and avoid single-use items such as paper plates or plastic utensils.
- Turn off and unplug appliances when not in use.
- Turn down air-conditioning or heat, and hold newspaper delivery when you travel.
Please feel free to comment or post your own ideas for a greener lifestyle, and Happy Earth Day from WEF Eco!