WEF Discussions — Now on LinkedIn!

WEF is pleased to announce the creation of free LinkedIn groups associated with its technical discussion forum topics. Through these LinkedIn groups, members will be able to view and participate in discussions, as well as communicate with one another via direct messages. Share your experiences and knowledge, ask questions and respond to other discussions as frequently as you like!

You must have a LinkedIn profile to join a LinkedIn group; you can create your profile here. If you already have a LinkedIn profile, all you need to do is submit a request to join one or all of the following groups:

Water Environment Federation (Main) | Biosolids | Collection Systems | Nutrients | Stormwater 
Utility Management | Water Reuse | Water for Jobs | Watershed Management | Laboratory Practices 

RSS Feed Print
total nitrogen removal
leon Smith
Posted: Sunday, July 25, 2010 10:32 AM

We have a conventional activated sludge process and trying to

accomplish total nitrogen removal by breakpoint chlorination;in order to

determine whether the process is working; what parameters do you measure

to monitor to observe progression.

Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, September 2, 2010 2:49 PM

breakpoint chlorination will only destroy ammonia, not total Nitrogen. Chlorine will not affect nitrates and may react with amino compounds but not remove the N componds from solution. Ammonia will be oxidized to chloramines and if enough chlorine is used it will form trichloramine , a deadly gas.  So maybe to answer your question, the extent of the reaction can be judged by where you wind up on the breakpoint curve e.g do you have free or combined chlorine after contact?

Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, September 5, 2010 8:36 AM

The answer to your question is ;we are measuring free chlorin and

nitrate. those number avg. .10 free and 14 nitrate

Gunalan Varatharajan
Posted: Saturday, April 28, 2012 11:32 PM

Hi

I wish to find about about the nitrification effect on BOD analysis. iN the test method used in our department it is stated that the BOD value calculated is a total sum of carbonaceous dan nitrogenaceous.

My concern is is this value calculated true according to defination of BOD?

How mandatory in nitrification inhibator? If i use nitrification inhibitor does that mean i should use the term CBOD instead of BOD?

Please enlighten me on the matter