WEF Discussions — Now on LinkedIn!

WEF is pleased to announce the creation of free LinkedIn groups associated with its technical discussion forum topics. Through these LinkedIn groups, members will be able to view and participate in discussions, as well as communicate with one another via direct messages. Share your experiences and knowledge, ask questions and respond to other discussions as frequently as you like!

You must have a LinkedIn profile to join a LinkedIn group; you can create your profile here. If you already have a LinkedIn profile, all you need to do is submit a request to join one or all of the following groups:

Water Environment Federation (Main) | Biosolids | Collection Systems | Nutrients | Stormwater 
Utility Management | Water Reuse | Water for Jobs | Watershed Management | Laboratory Practices 

RSS Feed Print
in tank/in-line ammonia and phosphate instruments
George Sprouse
Posted: Tuesday, October 12, 2010 8:03 AM

We are considering testing in-line/in-tank ammonia and phosphate instruments at our BNR activated sludge systems. We are looking for ideas on instruments that may be worth considering for real time monitoring of these parameters in-tank in mixed liquor.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much,

George Sprouse

Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, October 12, 2010 9:02 AM

We are going to get a Chem Scan for nitrogen analysis but it can be configured to do more.

The big question is will it work. I don't know of any plant using one. I hate to think it could

be an $80k piece we try to run for 6 months and then give up.

Mark

Thomas Jenkins
Posted: Wednesday, October 13, 2010 8:07 AM

I know at least one plant that has had good luck with the BioChem unit (formerly Myratek) for ammonia and nitrate. I don't know about phosphorus.

I think the trick with any of these nutrieant analyzers is continuing maintenance. If the data is useful enough to justify the upkeep they seem to work, if they are just cute readouts the maintenance isn't worthwhile.